Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Car Line Drama

PREFACE: I have your typical middle child.

We have somewhat of a "Safety Patrol" at the car line where my boys attend elementary school. The patrol consists of roughly 10-15 current 5th grade students, headed by our P.E. teachers. Their duty is to open the car doors for the students to make the flow go smoother. Well, Brody quickly picked up on what they are supposed to do.
The other morning, I pull up to the sidewalk to let Walker and Brody out. Walker is in the front seat, and Brody is in the back. One of the patrollers walks up to the front door and opens it to let Walker out. He then proceeds to go to the car behind me....which means, you got it, Brody is left sitting there in the car. Well, that went over like a lead balloon. Brody sits there, backpack on, lunch box in hand. He doesn't budge. Our conversation, for lack of better term, follows:

G: Brody, get out of the car.
B: No
G: Brody, get out of the car right now!!!
B: No! They are supposed to open the door.
G: Brody, I'm going to whip your tail if you don't get out of this car.
B: No momma! They are supposed to open the door, and I'm not getting out until they do!

Well, needless to say, I come unglued. I'm holding up the car line, people are watching me and him yelling in the car. So I look at one of those patrol kids, point to him, and point to Brody and mouth the words "OPEN THIS DOOR". God bless him, he comes scurrying over there to open the door. I must interject at this point to apologize to the little fella, whoever he is, if I scared him in any way. I was not directing my anger at Brody towards him. I was just trying to avoid having DHR called out on me because of my stubborn child.
The next day, I pull up, and one of the P.E. teachers sees me and quickly tells the workers to be sure to open the back door also. :) I guess they learned real quick to check the car carefully before walking off. I bet they are wishing they had not signed up for this job.... :)

1 comment:

Mary H. said...

This is hilarious!!!

Okay probably not to you!!

God Bless Brody!!