Monday, September 21, 2009

Where's the bathroom?

From the title of the post, I know you must be thinking something totally different than what this is really about. I'll just come right out and tell you that is has nothing to do with the title. Kevin and I started teaching the 2nd grade Sunday School class at church this month. I missed the first week because I was out of town, so Kevin taught it by himself. I taught the next week. We are learning about the Bible this month...to obey it, read it, learn from it, and respect it. The kids are doing great in there, and they ask a lot of good questions. And as much as you might prepare for a lesson or think you know the answer to everything, there is always that question that completely throws you for a loop...because for some reason (even in church), you were not expecting it. Well, that happened last week.

I'm quizzing the kids, and they are answering everything. Then out of the blue, one of them asks:



"Where does God come from?"



My initial response in my head was "huh? Don't you mean where is the bathroom?" :) I quickly push that thought aside and answer the best way I know how to a 2nd grader. I have to carefully choose my words because the answer could then lead to more questions that are hard to get a 2nd grader to understand. So I simply tell them that God is a being, a spirit....God just IS. We don't know how God came to be, but that our faith in God is enough to make us understand and believe that He exists and that He is the Creator of all things, including us. I couldn't explain that He is infinite....because how do you explain that in terms a 2nd grader can understand? How do you explain that you can't define God in terms of time? He has just always been.

My answer seemed to satisfy them. Thank you God for helping me through that answer!

Until next time....

2 comments:

Mary H. said...

That was an awesome answer!!! God will always supply your needs! Way to go! Good job!!

Sandy Smith Mills said...

Great job Ginger ;)