Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why?

Why? It's a question we all ask when something terrible happens. Especially when it involves children. A friend of mine told me about Ethan Powell, a little boy in Louisiana who was fighting Leukemia. She gave me his website, and I checked it almost daily so I could get updates on him. He was diagnosed at 2 months old, and he was such a little fighter. His last bone marrow test came back negative and said there was NO LEUKEMIA! What a blessing that was! But then he started to develop an infection and he started retaining fluid around his heart and lungs. My heart would break every time I logged in and read those updates. It just kept getting worse and worse, and finally his little lungs couldn't take anymore, and they shut down. Little Ethan died in his parents arms on Saturday morning. His short life touched so many people, and he touched mine more than I could ever tell you. Even though I prayed so hard for him all the time, I can't help but think I let him down. Maybe I didn't pray enough or maybe I prayed the wrong prayer. Why did God take this little boy? Why do his parents have to live without him? Why did he survive leukemia, but then ultimately die from an infection? Why did God put Ethan in my heart? I spent the majority of the morning yesterday crying over this little boy. There's a reason God burdened my heart with Ethan. It may never be clear to me why or it may hit me like a ton of bricks. But whatever the reason, I have to trust God's purpose in it.

I also want to mention Neil Elkins. His cousin-in-law just told me that he was diagnosed with Leukemia yesterday, and he will be spending a month in the hospital. I don't know where or why or any details. But please remember him and his family in your prayers. He has a wife Tisha and a 3 yr old daughter Saige.

3 comments:

melonyford said...

I believe there are reasons we're made aware of others' situations... mainly because they need prayer, but also because it reminds us of our many blessings in life and keeps us aware of how quickly/easily things can change and lives turned upside down. This little boy is a prime example of why we all - young and old alike - should enjoy each and every day we're blessed with, and remember that it's God above that has given us today. It's easy to get wrapped up in our busy lives, whine abour our aches and pains, gripe about the bills we have to pay... instead of being thankful for the air we breathe, the loves ones who fill our household, the able bodies we use to get up and go to work and earn money to provide for ourselves. We're so richly blessed!!! The Bible still tells us to mourn with those who mourn and rejoice with those who rejoice. And I think this blog is a perfect place for you to share your feelings with all your family and friends! What a great idea!

One prayer request I'd like to add... Robert Penney (Tara Calder's dad) has also been diagnosed with leukemia. Please add him to your prayer list.

Natalee said...

I think Melony speaks with wisdom beyond her years. (By the way Melony, I was sorry to hear about your dad recently. I've been there too and you are all in my prayers.) I think we all too often forget about the blessings we have. I don't know why that little boy, or anyone else, has to suffer and die. I just know that all things are for His glory. I think of Cayolyn and her many battles with cancer. I think the Lord chose her so she could glorify him through it all. Her faith is so unwavering. I know that is the kind of faith that Job had, and I know it is the faith that He expects from us all.

I, just like you G, have prayed for so many people that the Lord has taken. I have to remember that he knows what is best for everyone even when we can't see how anything good can come out of it.

I love ya girl!!

Anonymous said...

Ginger, Do not allow Satan to convince you that you did not do enough to keep the little fellow in LA alive. God tells us there is a time to live and a time to die. Why he chose to take the little one so soon, we do not know; but God knows. We may not understand why he puts people in our lives, but we know that we are to trust him and seek his will in all things.

We do know that God is a loving father because he sent his own son to die for us. A few years ago, when I lost my darling little granddaughter at 7 months, even though I did not want to say goodbye to her, I know that God sent her for a brief time for his purpose(s), and that she was safely in his loving arms.

Please don't think of this little one as dead. He isn't dead. He is very much alive and happy with his father. It is not for us to question why, but to accept the Lord's will and grow from the experience in our own faith life.

The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face shine upon you and give you His peace. (a paraphrase)Numbers 6:24-26