Monday, August 17, 2009

A love like no other....

Me and the kids went to visit my Grandma Ruthie yesterday. Unfortunately, we woke her up from a nap. But trust me, she was wide awake before too long.
She and my Papa were married for over 50 years. Back "in the day" before he ever got old and sick, I wondered how she ever put up with him. He was your typical Yankee Polock....stubborn as a mule, not an ounce of tact (he was quick to tell me I was gaining weight) and just brash. But she loved him. And it was so evident once he got sick. She was his caregiver. She bathed him, fed him, medicated him, talked to him, brushed his hair, changed his bedding, etc.... In his final days, I have never seen someone look so pitiful. He was so frail. But Grandma kept saying he would be fine. We all knew better. I would go to sit with him at the hospital, and he just had this helpless look in his eyes. He didn't know who I was. And it was like he was just begging me to help him get home to the Lord. I would just sit there, hold his hand, wipe his little face off, and just cry. My mean ol' Papa was so tiny and pitiful. He wasn't yelling, he wasn't making grouchy faces, he wasn't complaining.....he was just there. On the days that Grandma was there when I was, she could walk in the room and he would turn to her. His face would just light up, what little bit it could. I never once heard him tell her he loved her in all my years, but it was so evident. And she loved him just as much. She would tell him over and over.
Anyway, while I was visiting with her yesterday, she made the comment that she told Papa (she talks to him) that it wouldn't be much longer before she got there. Of course, I had to tell her ever so nicely to shut her mouth and not talk that way. But I honestly believe someone can die from a broken heart. She is truly broken...she gets depressed all the time. I told her that it was so hard to see Papa the way he was in the last days, but she said "You know what Ginger, I fell in love with him all over again during that time. He was so good in bed". aahhhh.... I felt myself getting hot and faint, and I thought Lord help me if I faint right here in her floor because my kids are helpless, and Grandma will probably fall in the floor trying to help me. Then there would the both of us be in a heap on the floor. My kids wouldn't try to help....they would instantly go to the candy jar that they had been forbidden to touch. What she was saying was that he was such a good patient while he was bedridden, and just seeing him and tending to him that way made her feel that way about him all over again.
Sorry about that sidebar....anywho, I just thought that was precious. It made me think about me and Kevin. I hope that we feel the same way about each other after all those years together. My Grandma and Papa truly had a love like no other.

No comments: