Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Flying high

I'm on travel this week for work. I don't have the best luck when it comes to flying....as far as my flights taking off on time, etc...let me preface this post by thanking God that I did make it to Herndon safe and sound. And I ask for prayers on Thursday as I travel back home. May God continue to keep me safe.

When my boss and I travel, we are ALWAYS delayed. Put her or me travelling with someone else from work, and flights are perfect. But for some reason or another, the two of us flying together brings out the worst in flight plans. Thankfully, I had to come up to Virginia by myself yesterday. I flew out of Huntsville for a stopover in Atlanta, and then from there to Dulles. My first flight is on a smaller plane....the reason being is that it's a 29 minute flight from Huntsville to Atlanta. So we have about 80 people at the most on this plane, and the cabin is cramped. The flight leaves on time, even a few minutes early, and it's a relatively smooth flight. That is, until we descend. I believe we hit every air pocket and cloud there was in the sky. The plane was dipping and dropping, and I actually thought I was going to throw up. It was the worst flight I had ever been on. And then to top it off, the pilot decides to land on one wheel, so we start fish tailing down the runway a couple of times until he finally gets the plane on the other 2 wheels. I'm so nauseated by this point, that I'm ready to just lay in the lap of the fella beside me. I didn't care what he or anyone else thought. All I could think was "get me off this plane before I lose all these gummies I inhaled before we took off". :)
My next flight from Atlanta to Dulles was on a much bigger plane....finally some room. Or so I thought..... Guess where the biggest man on the flight's seat was...yep, beside me. So he squeezes into his seat, and I cannot possibly sit up straight, or else I would be squished underneath his arm. And let me tell you....he's a talker. I know how old he is, what he does for a living, where he went on vacation (he even had to compare his tan to mine), how many kids he has, and just how bad Dulles airport is. I thought he would notice the glazed look in my eyes as he was talking to me, or the fact that I had a magazine shoved in my face, but no....he was oblivious to all that. He wanted to be friends. Well, I'm not on a flight to make friends with anyone. We finally take off, and lo and behold....he's a snorer. He is so loud that passengers 6 rows up turn around to see what's going on. I laugh, and they all laugh. Then I hear the sweetest words of the day...."the captain has now turned off the seat belt sign. The use of all electronic devices is now approved". I could not get my purse out from under that seat fast enough to get my iPod. The flight is very smooth, and all the sudden, my lovely seat mate decides that sitting straight will not work...so he decides to turn on his side...thus his butt is laid up on me now. Great....just great. An agonizing 30 minutes later, we land. Before we get off the plane, he says "I'm a fidgeter. I can't sit still". Really? I hadn't noticed.....

I just pray my flights home are safe, quiet and uneventful...that is if I leave on time. Which probably won't happen since I'll be flying back with my boss! :)

1 comment:

Vikki said...

Oh Ginger! That is a horrible flight story! I sure feel for you! I am wishing you an uneventful return!