We all know the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. She went through the porridge and the chairs and then the bed. She thought Baby Bear's bed was "just right". Well, no Goldilocks, you're wrong. Completely wrong! Or at least so according to my children!
It seems that Momma Bear and Daddy Bear's bed is just right. You see, we put the kids to bed in their own beds. Well, Walker and Brody sleep together because Brody is scared of the dark, or just to be alone period. And then Avery sleeps in her bed! Sounds good, right? Well, it is until about 2:00 or so every morning when I am in a deep, hibernated sleep. Then I hear "momma". I ignore it, thinking it will go away. "momma". it's like a nagging, yet familiar sound. "momma". There it is again....what is that noise? "MOMMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Oh, now it's all too clear what it is when I pry my eyes open and see 1 of 3 children standing there.
More often times than not it's Avery in there first. She not only walks in there from her room, but she is loaded down with pillow, blanket and baby in hand. So I semi-consciously manage to move my arm to heave her up on the bed and she crawls in between Kevin and I. Or should I say more accurately, she attaches herself to my butt or hip and stays there.
Next, I hear "momma, can I fweep wif you?" I don't even open my eyes because I know it's Brody. Only my sweet Brody talks that way and asks before he hops in bed. Even though he asks first, he knows he's obligated at that point because there is one sibling in the bed with me, and how could I possibly let one and not the others. So he puts himself down at the end of the bed and covers up with the comforter. So now, I am laid on my side with one stuck up my tail and the other at my feet, which now forces my legs up to my chin.
Enter child #3.....and before you start, mothers, trying to tell me how I need to break that habit, don't even bother. I won't listen to it. I've tried it, failed at it miserably, and now I'm used to it. When those babies are 16, they aren't gonna want to sleep with mom anymore. So I'm going to enjoy it no matter how little bit of sleep I get.
Sorry, back to #3. My oldest....Walker. He usually sleeps through the night in his bed. But if he does wake and find that Brody isn't in bed with him anymore, he will come in my room and survey the lay of the land (bed) and decide where he can fit best, if even at all. I've actually watched him before look around the bed to see where he should plop down. And at times, he will look to see who's in there and then walk back to his bed defeated. And then, I can't stand that. It breaks my heart to know he's back in his room by himself, so I'll crawl in bed with him. After all, I've been shoved out of my bed by now.
So Goldilocks, I respect your opinion that Baby Bear's bed is just right. But for now, I'm enjoying the fact that Momma Bear's bed is best!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
What a great story/post!!! It is the exact same way at our house and I am so used to it, any other way would be odd. Thanks for sharing!
That is the best post ever!!! I love it!
When they are almost ten they sleep all night in their own bed unless they are sick and then they want to sleep on the couch.
So enjoy it. Hopefully you have a king size bed!!!!
What a funny post! You are a hoot! Hulee tries that every once in a while but I'm a stickler. You can only sleep in Mommy's bed after daddy has left for work in the mornings. If she happens to be very sick or something strange like a nightmare, then I go, defeated as you put it, to the couch and sleep in there with her.
Natalee
Post a Comment