Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11

I know most of us say that we remember where we were on that fateful day 7 years ago. As bad as my memory is, I can remember every detail from the minute I heard the first news about it. I was 7 months pregnant with Walker, and Kevin and I decided to ride to work together that day. We were sitting at an intersection when word first came over the radio...what a tragic thing that someone "accidentally" flew a plane into the WTC. I felt devastated for the family of the pilot because I know he probably did everything he could to prevent that. I was saddened at the thought of it, but then I got to feeling really sick in my stomach. I told Kevin, all the sudden, that I didn't think it was an accident. Then word got out that another plane had flown into the second building. That sick feeling had overcome me at that point, and then I got that sinking feeling in my heart. WHY in the world would someone do this? HOW could someone do this? Kevin dropped me off at work, and I walked into the office and the words that came out of my mouth were "We're being attacked". No one at work knew anything about it because they didn't have their radios on. Everyone starts racing around trying to find a radio to listen to or a TV to watch. We all went to the conference room and stayed glued to the TV watching in horror as it all unfolded. The Pentagon was hit, the plane goes down in Pennsylvania, and then the buildings fall. Tears were flowing all around me, and I couldn't believe I was going to give birth to a child in a crazy world filled with so much hate towards us. I wouldn't even go to the next Alabama football game because I was afraid there was going to be a bomb in the stadium.
As I listened to all the tributes on the radio this morning on my way in to work, I replayed every minute of that day in my head. Seeing all the flags flying at half staff saddened me.
But on a funny note, I can remember getting an email that week saying that on a certain night at a certain time, that everyone was encouraged to go out in their yard and light a candle. A satellite would take the picture to prove to the world just how much the US is united. Yep, I did it. I fell for it, not even thinking that there was no way a satellite could pick up my tiny little flame! :)

1 comment:

Natalee said...

I remember every detail of that day too. We all have our own story to tell. I was worried most about my brother who travels alot for the government. I didn't know if he was on a plane or not at that time, but I didn't think that the arsenal would have been any safer that day. I was in Montgomery yesterday and heard Gov. Riley memorialize the tragedy and he said that since 9/11 that 20 plots of terrorism here on our soild had been foiled. We are a hated nation for all that we have and believe. I will always be proud to be an american and have lived the llfe that I have been blessed to live.