Like it or not, college football is a way of life in the south. Families and friends are divided over their greatest rivalries. It is instilled in us from the first breath we take. Life stands still on football Saturdays. There is nothing like it. And I've been debating from the last post I had on here as to whether I address the things I have seen, heard, read and experienced since the Iron Bowl. But I choose not to go there because it will only turn into false accusations, cussings, name callings, whinings and boastful attitudes. Instead I choose to focus on a positive....our Crimson Tide QB Greg McElroy.
A few years ago, then Alabama head coach Mike Shula was heavily recruiting a fella out of Florida....the great Tim Tebow. And on the other end, we had a fella from Texas who was holding out hope to attend Alabama....Greg McElroy. We all know how the Tim Tebow story ended. And because it went that way, we were lucky enough to get Greg McElroy! Yep, that's right....LUCKY!
Greg McElroy, or affectionately called GMac, is not flashy. When you talk about the greatest college QB's of all time, he might not make the Top 20. But he's solid, he's intelligent, he's respectful, and he's classy. He led the mighty Crimson Tide to a 14-0 season, an SEC Championship, and our 13th National Championship. He navigated a game winning drive against our biggest rivalry. He danced down the sidelines in the Georgia Dome to get that first down. He executed a flawless game in that same dome. And that night, he made everyone remember that Alabama lost nothing when Tim Tebow turned us down. And then he led our team to the NC!
On January 1, 2011, GMac will play his last game in an Alabama uniform. I know it will be a very bittersweet moment for him. I know without a doubt that he will play his absolute best for his team, his university, and all of us fans. I, for one, am very thankful for his dedication to MY football team. He helped take us back to the top! I wish him nothing but the best. I know what he has done at Alabama is just a minor step in the huge life he's about to lead! God bless you GMac! And ROLLLLLLL TIDE ROLL!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment